View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #62
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if the Soviets had always been allowed to fight in the pro ranks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncc84 View Post
You haven't proved eastern europeans wouldn't have been successful had they competed professionally earlier. In fact you have provided evidence on the contrary. Mentioning Kobozev actually went against what you were trying to say. He was good as an amateur but there were many better Eastern Bloc amateurs at the time. He was never a national champion, although wikipedia says he was part of the soviet national team, he didn't represent the USSR at any major tournaments.
Kobozev was a good pro, there were many better than him in the amateurs, so I don't know why you don't think any of them could have been good professionals or gone on to win world titles if they went pro.
Amateur success doesn't always transfer to professional success. So your argument means very little. There's no way to say who would or wouldn't have been successful. And please point out where I ever said eastern Europeans wouldn't have been successful or have won world titles, of course they would have. My argument was against the ridiculous notion that Americans would have been in the same boat as today if they had competed. Sorry but they did compete, and America had a much higher talent level back then.
JAB5239 is offline  Top