P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey v Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
From Moyle's book on Miske...

From Tommy Gibbon...
"You can tell the world that Jim Dougherty won't referee for me again. Every time he broke us, he picked on me, and would set me back so Dempsey would jump in... He didn't say anything about Dempsey's fouls..."

From St. Paul Pioneer Press...
"Referee permitted Dempsey to hit low four or five times during the bout and never even cautioned the champion for his foul tactics. Twice the champion hit Tommy with hard blows after the bell... but not once was he warned... The fans did not approve of Dempsey's tactics or Dougherty's for, and time and again they roared their disapproval."

The following the Dempsey-Gibbons affair, Tommy exhibited his groin (oh yeah) to timekeeper Richard Burke which was covered in black and blue. Burke suggested the press know about it but Gibbons declined to mention it as an alibi. This story was corroborated by Montana oil man Tip O'Neill.
St Paul Pioneer Press ? Hardly objective as a source , it was Gibbons home town.

You do know that Dempsey and Gibbons stood about in the ring for half an hour before Dougherty consented to enter the ring and referee I suppose?
Dougherty went on strike because his $5000 guarantee for refereeing was not forth coming in advance from Kearns ,so he refused to officiate he held out for half an hour whilst the two boxers waited in the ring.
Hardly conducive to doing Dempsey any favours I should have thought.

Dempsey worked Gibbons body for 3 rounds taking them, then shifted to the head but was outboxed for the 4th 5th & 6th rds. Dempsey went back to his body attack and controlled the rest of the fight.
mcvey is offline  Top