View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300
Default Re: Nonito donaire, a top 50 atg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
That's hardly much of a list of names in and of itself.You can count one hand how many very good prime fighters beaten at their best weightclass are in there, even if he theoretically had them all won right now.

Arce? C'mon maybe nine\ten years ago that would have been a good win..even 5\6 years ago.I didn't check a single thing that anyone was saying in the general on that fight as it held not the least interest as a competitive matchup for me, but surely no one thought it was anything other than a gimme?

If you're asking if having those wins would automatically make him a lock for anyone who cares to venture at top 50 all-time great list? Then i'd say no they should not.

It would be impressive and comparable to various other excellent and great fighters around those weights, especially just for consistently beating who is in front of him and weight jumping(though somewhat diluted by how much easier it his to cut weight now, Donaire was hardly a comfortable natural Fly) if not for having many wins against genuinely really good fighters, but not THAT impressive.
I have a top 50 list

Arce is still a solid win. He was coming off a solid winning streaks, beating Vasquez Jr the year before. Not quite the Arce of early 2000's but still a solid win.

The point is, this resume is actually very likely within the next 3 years...and most likely! It's a stacked resume.

Well in terms of weights...one hand?! Darchinyan, Vasquez Jr, Narvaez only put on 2lbs that's not earth shattering, Montiel was a beast at Bantam, Sydorenko, Mthlane - their careers are still going from strength to strength and Donaire fought them at a weight class they were used to fighting in and very solid in them..
As for the others who are not in Donaire's current resume, you have got to be kidding me - Chris John dominant at Featherweight for over a decade...same with Salido, Daniel is doing well at featherweight - he arguably beat Broner and he lost to a simply better guy...Gamboa.
anj is offline  Top