Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #223
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Why were many old time boxers so scrawny looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
If a professional boxer doesn't say the same thing(stamina over strength) he's a damn idiot. Lack of strength is an easily navigated weakness, just requires stylistic tweaks. Lack of stamina means getting KTFO early time and time again. I had the advantage myself of being absolutely massive, and a massive puncher; I was hard to press, and I was dangerous to press. But so many times, at my biggest, I felt incredibly vulnerable to being overwhelmed if only the other guy just attacked me. I'd surrender 70 pounds of this muscle and whatever goes with it for Manny Pacquiao type endurance.

And your post script is totally accurate. Old timers said it was "keeping the body guessing". I don't know the science behind it, but great variety by far and away works best for every single fighter I've ever met, which is thousands.
Agreed.

When I first started boxing all I did before hand was lift weights I had alot of strength and a big punch but it didn't mean shit when after 1 round of lively sparring I was knackered. Nowadays I've barely touched a weight in over 2 years yet can still lift more weights than I could before simply by body weight exercises, but my stamina and speed has notably increased. Then again like you said, variety is the best thing you can do for your body to keep it guessing, I've noticed recently that adding Rowing to my regime on top of all the calisthenics, swimming, running and boxing has helped alot.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top