Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #44
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Jack Dempseys book championship fighting says to teach guys offense first...because if you teach defense first you tend to create a timid fighter.. he basically suggests its better to show a guy the stance and all that...teach the punches..let him spar some and get a feel for it, than teach the defense (of course that means he is going to get hit allot for some sparring sessions..but thats old school tough shit i guess).

i personally wouldnt put a fighter in to spar before he has learned at least some basic catches and parries, having said that..i think the idea of focusing on offense first is correct.
Defense is all reflex and training, man. Dempsey had it spot on. A slip or a duck isn't some technique you bust out like a jab. It's a reaction to a punch. It's fast, and it needs to be ingrained.

You can't really think "I'm gonna slip this shit!" at any high level. You're gonna get hit, or you aren't. Your training, your awareness, and your reflexes determines the outcome there.

I tell my fighters to stay focused, stay wary, and work their plan. Worry about what they are doing, and trust their technique and training to deal with the other guy.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top