Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #74
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Most deluded boxer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
Good post. Anyone who has ambitions of greatness in life can relate to these guys somewhat. When you are trying to achieve something difficult, it's only natural for people to doubt you or tell you that you are wasting your time. They are only being realistic. The odds are against you, and only a very small percentage can reach the top. So these people that are saying you are better off doing something else are only being realistic. They are looking at the statistics and saying "only 0.001% of people can do it" or whatever the figure may be. What they can't measure is human desire. It does take a certain amount of delusion to make it to the top, so I can understand why these guys believe in their goals, because no one else is going to do it for them. If they were also realistic, they wouldn't get anywhere. Some of the goals they have are very unrealistic (for example, Khan ever challenging Mayweather or becoming p4p number 1) but like I said, you can't measure desire, and sometimes although these guys fail to reach their goal, they still come far.

Audley Harrison is a perfect example. Look at the ridicule he gets. "The biggest joke in British boxing". "The biggest clown in the heavyweight division. A joker". Is he deluded? Yeah he is, but look where it's gotten him. Multi-millionaire living the good life with his family, Olympic gold medalist and European Champ. Being called a clown by people who work in a shitty job, are generally miserable and will never even have ambitions of achieving greatness, never mind actually doing it. Clown people who are clowns in every area of their life (financially, socially, physically, intellectually, mentally) are trying to clown successful people (not that I have a problem with making fun of fighters, because I do it myself. We all have fighters we love and fighters we dislike, but I have never considered people like Audley jokers or a clowns of life). You can dislike these fighters, but you have to understand that they are winners.
Boxalot is offline  Top