MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Smelling saltes as a PED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Of course.

I wonder what the perception of Clay would've been at the time, and Ali now, if he had been DQ'd and not had the chance to show he'd recovered. Sure he'd have gone on to beat Cooper in the rematch, but would it be as champ after dethroning Liston?

If anything else it'd be brought up even more than the friggin' knockdown does nowadays, even now after all the myths have been dispelled you still see 'em cropping up every so often.

Imagine if Saad had been DQ'd for having that substance on him against Conteh. An absolutely superb fight would've been snatched from us, and Conteh's lightning in a bottle physical state that night would've been robbed from him even in a DQ win. We never would've seen that great comeback.

I'm glad these kinda' misdemeanours go unpunished in a way as I don't think them to be really that much of an advantage. Of course I'm talking selfishly as a spectator wanting to see one thing only; you got it, a good clean fight

Disclaimer; yes I'm essentially advocating an ickle bit of cheating as it's to gain a little advantage in the ebb and flow and not to really damage your opponent, ergo I appreciate B-Hop's sneaky butting, not so much Luis Resto's tampered gloves. Case-by-case basis I guess, but again, selfish I know.
It's prizefighting, man. An ickle bit of cheating happens each round, much less each fight. The referee is there to reign it in, penalize a guy who gets excessive, or end a fight if a fight, in essence, refuses to fight fair.

Even Mills Lane let a bout go on after a huge bite. Referee discretion IS a rule. I have a problem with the whole "Shoulda been DQed" mindset. "Coulda been DQed" is valid, but should isn't really on the balance of the thing. It's on tthe ref.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top