View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #76
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648
Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
Whatever you think of PK, sometimes he talks a lot of sense. PK made a post on this in Donnie's thread on deluded boxers. I wanted to make this thread to discuss the shitty decisions boxers make, the backwards ass things they do in training. This thread may come across as "lookey here, we have some punk thinking he knows better than the pros", but it's just an opinion. The pros, and the trainers who post on ESB are welcome to join in and give their opinions. Some retarded things I've seen in boxing.

1. Amir Khan said that he did not train all year round. He trained only during training camps. For a professional to do this? It was beyond retarded. IMO, training camps should be used to peak your conditioning, work on a gameplan, and simulate the actual fight through sparring. It is very physically demanding stuff, and yes boxers do need a break, but not training at all away from camp? It's a joke because when not in training camp, a boxer should be working on technical things. Footwork, perfecting each punch, sharperning your reflexes etc. Mike Tyson would stand in front of a mirror and just throw the same punch over and over, for hours. This type of training is not physically demanding. There is no excuse to avoid it. Don Bradman became the greatest batsmen in the history of cricket because he used to bounce a golf ball off a wall and try to hit it with a stump. He did this over and over. It's not physically demanding. Do some boxers not realise this? Are they so retarded that they believe training is all or nothing? Balls to the wall type stuff? Bradman trained his eye to greatness this way. This is the type of technical training I'm talking about. Training is the wrong word. It should be called practice. You can practice all year round, away from training camp.

2. Paul William's trainer said that 90% of the training Paul Williams did was conditioning. "Once you know how to throw a jab, you never forget". He thought it was like riding a bike. Once you know how to ride a bike you never forget, so you don't have to practice. Paul Williams was one of my favorite fighters, very entertaining, but he never learned how to use his height and reach. He was never going to learn anything new, because his trainer felt that physical training is all it took. Shocking. It's like Messi saying "I don't have to practice my dribbling or my shooting, because once you learn you never forget. I'm just going to spend my time in the gym and work on my conditioning". It's like Michael Jordan and Roger Federer deciding to spend 90% of their time in the gym and only 10% on the basketball court/tennis court.

3. Trainers telling their fighters to stay away from weights. I have come across coaches like this when I trained. I ignored the advice and never let the coach know I trained with weights. One guy was told to stop going to the gym because big muscles will slow him down. These coaches don't realise that to grow muscles you need to train in a certain way, and have the right diet. There's a massive difference between bodybuilding and strength training. When a guy is able to keep making gains in strength without putting on an ounce of muscle, how is that a bad thing? You are training the nervous system, not making your muscles grow. If power is strength X Speed, then how is training for strength a bad thing?

4. Vic Darchiniyan was supposedly doing 1000 push ups a day when training for a fight. This is very retarded, because what will it do? It will not give him any strength because to train strength you would need to do low reps and heavy resistance. The only thing it would do is improve muscular endurance. For a boxer, muscular endurance is required mainly in the legs (which is why skipping is such a badass exercise) and the shoulders to keep your arms up. Working out on the speed ball will be more effective for building endurance in the shoulders and at the same time train hand-eye co-ordination and timing. All that time he spent doing push ups would be better utilised on the speed bag. Although to be fair to Darchiniyan, he can also supposedly bench twice his bodyweight so's he's also strong as an Ox.

5. Ricky Hatton's lifestyle away from training camp. Like I said, to me a training camp should be used to peak your physical conditioning, work on your gameplan and simulate the fight. It should not be a fat camp where you spend the first few weeks trying to lose weight.

6. Amir Khan on 24/7 getting into a war in sparring. Roach was away from the wildcard and Khan was sparring some guy in preparation for Garcia. He was sparring like he was Nigel Benn. Like it was some brutal war he was going to get into. When he was told to box, he said it was boring. Beyond retarded. Hard to believe a professional would do something like that.

7. This last one I'm not sure about. Some trainers feel that your hands should be wrapped even when hitting the bag. You only have one pair of hands so protect them well, because they are your weapons in boxing, is their thinking. Then you have this opposite view.

He says you should hit the bags with gardening gloves to "condition" the hands, and that the reason fighters break their hands during fights is because they protect them too much in training. I don't know man. I don't know if he's correct, or if it's a stupid, backwards thing to do. What do the pros and trainers on here think?

Right you have just written a massive essay about how pro boxers should train/live so can I ask, how many professional bouts have you had or been involved with? How many bouts have you been in full stop? How much time have you actually spent in a boxing gym?

Pro's train ridiculously hard, if they do not they do not achieve anything, it is wise to keep things ticking over if you're not in training camp, from what I have been told from an s and c coach who wroks with pro boxers, i.e light training sessions that could even just involve stretches but believe me pro's train hard and if you feel their lifestyle is so unprofession, why don't you try and become a pro boxer.

If you want to train 100% all year round that is your choice and you may benefit from that but no a training camp should not be just to sharpen up you ****ing idiot, also do you do realise that boxers don't just work on conditioning while they're in a camp don't you? your comparison to messi is redundant as messi trains with far less intensity than elite boxers do, mainly because he competes far more regularly and then has a break of about 2 months at the end of a season messi is also the greatest player on the planet, a lot of "professional" footballers are on the piss every week and balloon up 2 stone during the summer (I have seen ones from round my end out on the drink a few days before a game). If he trained with the intensity boxers do he'd be fatigued during competition.

Also I train 5-6 days a week and 2 times a days for some of those days. Out of those 7-8 training sessions I have I would only want to train weights once, weights may not get you bigger but you are still conditioning your muscles for a slow push and short burst. If you spend too much time on heavy weights you will have shit stamina, because extra muscle takes up extra oxygen and muscles need to be trained for endurance and explosivness mostly so once a week is ok but plyometric training, which involves maximal muscle contration for less than 200ms, for ballistic strength exercises which involve the muscle only being tensed for a fraction of a second is how to increase power.

Boxers at the elite level deserve a break imo, a few sessions a week won't hurt but the main work is done in the camp. most of these guys are in a camp for 3 months, that's a quarter of a year incase you didn't know, and during that time they will have been training six hours a day with no drink or junk etc. so I think that is where most of the work is done. A complete break for 3-4 weeks is ok too, ricky hatton obviously went too far inbetween camps and he'll be the first to say he payed the price, during camp however he wouldn't have pop, crisps, sweets, takeaways, alohol or any crap food for 3 months and let's not forget he was competing 3x a year and he even had to stick to this regime if it ran through christmas. How many other professions require that? yet you think they're unprofessional?

Just another retarded post from a no nothing esb poster like 99% of the rest on here.

Last edited by iceferg; 01-29-2013 at 06:53 AM.
iceferg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links