Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: John L Sullivan Exhibitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
The Sullivan McCormack fight/exhibition is nothing short of astonishing given his condition and age.

I dont know if that Sharkey Sullivan is the same one, but i read that John L went a few rounds and then explained to the crowd that he had retired and passed the mantle on to the younger fighting brigade.

I think it almost certain that John L was underated in the science department. YOu dont knock out as many people as he did, if you dont have the science to hit people without getting hit. Obviously he wasnt a mover like Corbett, but like tyson, Frazier etc, he wasnt a wild swinging thug etiher. Sullivan was further past prime than the Dempsey that faced Tunney. and corbett may have been on par or better than tunney. I think John L is extremely underated.
Also, I can't picture a talentless goon being able to make the transition from the London Prize rules to the Queensberry rules and stay on top. I tend to rate boxers in respect to how they dominated their opposition... and few were as dominant as Sullivan. Prime for prime and a good time machine at hand, I'd pick him to beat Jeffries... but it seems that no one who saw them both would say the same thing, so what do I know haha.
Brownies is offline  Top