View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #108
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Nonito donaire, a top 50 atg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Opening salvo.

We measure fighters about 4 ways- longevity, consistency/dominance (two sides of the same coin but still distinct), quality of opposition, and head to head. For the purposes of this leave h2h out as that us by far the most subjective and probably the least useful since it rewards fighters who peak extremely high Evan if only for a few fights (call this the Buster Douglas problem).

Let's look at Jofre and Harada in terms of the first two. In terms of longevity there isn't a contest; Haradas first and last title win took place five years apart. Let's give Harada all the way to the Famechon which I think he won, and that's eight years. Jofres first title win: 1960. His last was 13 years later in 1973. Even If we take of the three years he was retired that is still longer than Haradas entire career. And Jofre kept fighting and winning.
When you look at the longevity of these to you've got to take into account lifestyles. I won't say Harada was a party animal but he did have a tendency to blow up between fights. Jofre on the other hand was a vegetarian I think who kept his weight down, kept himself in shape and had a nice 3 years sabbatical which he started when he was still a relatively young man.
AlFrancis is offline  Top