View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #72
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: This kid is a beast. 13 years old and this good! Anyone on here know about him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal-T-Bag View Post
dude you're crazy, it's the am system that ****s up the americans, not the quality of training and fighters, ever notice how they still always outperform the euros when they turn pro, these same americans that were ousted in the 1st and 2nd round of the olympics go on to be world champs and successful pros whereas the medal winning euros stay am forever and when they turn pro they fade into obscurity. the americans have a style far better suited to the pros which is why they're still dominating in the pro ranks. Am boxing has turned into garbage, i'll never watch the olympics again, the last 2 were an embarrassment to the sport.
Most top Eastern Euro amateurs still don't turn pro. I hear that about American fighters all the time but it's absolute bullshit. They don't throw combinations or body shots so I don't see how they're suited to the pros. The only US fighter in recent years to do well in the pros is Andre Ward, and surprise surprise he was an olympic gold medallist. Broner and Russell jr. are both wait and see but I'm guessing they'll be the same as their amateur career, do well until they reach the top and get beaten by someone with better fundamentals and boxing IQ. Olympic boxing has become more like the pros recently and from later this year the headgear is gone and the 10 point must system will be used so it will be basically indistinguishable from pro boxing.
Look at the most dominant amateur from recent years, Lomachenko. Bodypunching, skills and combinations with a pro style. Look at guys like Khytrov, Beterbiev who have been very successful and knocking guys out in the ams. Where are the American equivalents if they're so 'pro'? Boxing is boxing and the US has been on a steady decline, the amateur system in the US is garbage because they don't understand the connection between amateur and pro boxing, they see it as a stepping stone instead of a foundation. A top amateur becomes a top pro. There are exceptions (Toney etc.) but more often than not a pro career resembles the success of their amateur career.
dealt_with is offline  Top