Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Re: John L Sullivan Exhibitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownies View Post
Also, I can't picture a talentless goon being able to make the transition from the London Prize rules to the Queensberry rules and stay on top. I tend to rate boxers in respect to how they dominated their opposition... and few were as dominant as Sullivan. Prime for prime and a good time machine at hand, I'd pick him to beat Jeffries... but it seems that no one who saw them both would say the same thing, so what do I know haha.
I dont think that is actually quite true. Plenty of people thought John L was better than jeffries,although by the time jeffries retired, most of those left had their views of Jeffries tainted by his domination by Corbett, or even his astonishing but past prime perormance against kilrain. Those who saw prime Sullivan often differed, and for a long time, Jeffries was seen by quite a few to have followed the golden Sullivan, Corbett, Jackson, Fitz glory days, although he was later usually lumped into this period.

By the way, did you know that Sullivan actually campained and challenged Jeffries to a LPR unification bout. I think the McCormick win might have even been in preparation for this. No one realistically gave him a chance, but you got to give him credit. To even consider such an idea at that age, is something to admire. No need to hide behind the pillows for John L.
Boilermaker is offline  Top