View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #42
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who were the most durable heavyweights ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Eh, Jeffries is hard to rate, I always say he's not proven against Heavyweight punchers because he never faced any. The greatest puncher he fought was Fitz who didn't have a problem KOing some of the biggest and most durable guys of the era with 1 shot yet from all accounts couldn't hurt Jeffries in the traditional sense of the word even tho he could cave his face in. On that and Choynski, Griffin, Munroe and Sharkey, basically the biggest punchers the era could offer, you have to say he was one of the most durable heavies ever...
For a long time I too believed Jeffries chin was unproven because he did not take the shots of big heavyweights.
However after reading about the punishment that Fitz inflicted on Ruhlin,punishment that threatened his life and left him bedridden for some time, and perusing the accounts of the shots that Jeffries shipped in his second fight with Fitz , smashing his face to bits but leaving him still standing. I put Jeffries in the top echelon of durable champions chin wise.
mcvey is offline  Top