View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #149
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Nonito donaire, a top 50 atg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post

I liked what lora and LR said.....basically is what I think too...

In my mind, consistency is something really important (when you are not ducking top fighters, obviously, Iīm not talking about consistency that is earned through over-protectionism, you know what I mean)

The quality of opposition clearly belongs to Harada, nobody can say otherwise....impossible.

The problem is that, unfortunately, Jofreīs opposition became obscure... actually it was obscure even at the time, with some exceptions like Ernesto Miranda, Jose Smecca (gave Eder one of his toughest fights) and a few others relatively known (at least in South America) at those days.
Among these few others I remember reading on Roberto Castro, an argentinian that was considered a truly quality opponent, but unluckily the info on SA boxing in those days is not the best....

People get surprised when see Medelīs final record, with a lot of losses....this is so misleading IMO, I mean, you can see clearly in the case of Medel that he had a career strikingly mismanaged....with his skills, he could have been a monster at the weight in any era if he had a better management, I believe.

I think guys like Johnny Jamito became forgotten too, you know.....Piero Rollo !! Leo Espinoza, he was a bit past of his best days at the time Eder beat him but he was still good...still a top 10 ranked fighter IIRC.
Iīm just saying this because sometimes it looks like Eder didnīt face no one and the distance between the opposition of Eder and Harada is huge....
and itīs clear, but not that big imo...
I donīt think I can dispute Harada over Jofre though, Flea.......itīs a fine thing, I donīt agree with it, perhaps because in my criteria longevity and consistency counts more than in yours....

On Donaire... I would say Caraballo and Caldwell were better than Montiel or Darchinyan, IMO the best opponents Donaire faced so far....I like them both btw, especially Darchinyan.
Nice post Vic.
The only thing that bugs me is this longevity thing. Harada was fighting at the top level for over 7 years and over three weights, that's not bad going. I can't dispute that Jofre was fighting title fights over a longer period but does it really matter. Jofre definitely gets it for consistency though, a real pro! Interesting hearing about Jamito, Espinoza and Rollo and Caldwell, all top fighters of their day and like you say somewhat forgotten.
I've been reading lately through the Mexican Newspaper archives on the unsung Mexican bantams. There are some great early career fight reports on there of Olivares, Castillo, Herrera, Memo Tellez, Miguel Castro, Esparza, Felipe Gonzalez, Medel, Raul Vega etc. These fellas were literally all beating each other. Great reading them, you get a picture of how good these fellas really were in there own right instead of just being names on somebody's boxrec profile.
AlFrancis is offline  Top