View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #82
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Froch v Kessler Broadcasting rights causing problems!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Yeah, they probably did expect Eddie to sign more fighters once the exclusive deal was announced but you can't cut them slack for any assumptions they made.

You can't even blame Hatton and Maloney. It's upto Sky to enforce quality. They could have put their expectations into any new contract with Hatton. 6 shows from Hatton would have been enough if they were one of just two or three promoters. They've got Quigg, Vassell, Murray, Buckland, ****ens, Crolla amongst others. We could have had some great stacked cards with these guys if Hatton only got 5 dates.

That said, if it was up to me I'd have no contracts with anyone. I'd inform every British promoter that there's 20 dates to fill and it's upto them to, either individually or in conjunction with each other, put shows together. And the final call would be Sky's. That way even the likes of Coldwell would get a look in.
I wasn't cutting them any slack for those assumptions. They deserve to be criticised but as I have been saying, theres other people to blame.

You can't expect Sky to hold the promoters hands. Hattons only had 6 shows a year in there previous contract and they couldn't deliver. And Sky did put in quality control. When the Hattons ****ed up the Khan vs McCloskey PPV, the fight got dropped as a PPV because the undercard wasn't sufficient quality. This is what I feel ultimately lead to Sky dropping Hatton promotions.

I don't agree with no contracts. You do need a major promoter like Hearn to have a degree of security so that he is able to invest in prospects. If there is none, promoters would only focus on the 3 TV fights so that they can secure the date, and prospects would be left to rot.

I would have given Hearn say 10 dates and then left 10 dates open. If a Promoter continually delivers when they fill the free slots, they can also secure a guaranteed contract.
USA Rob is offline  Top