View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #53
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who were the most durable heavyweights ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Err and what point was that? Unless you've taken punches from someone who is 6'6 and 240lbs you can't be considered durable? My point was Tony Galento is one of the most durable Heavyweights ever. A man with no defence, who fought in the upper ranks of the division for a number of years, facing the biggest punchers of the era all of whom were over 200 lbs and having 116 proffesional fights and walked away with only being decked once cannot do so with being one of the most durable heavyweights ever.

Ironically Joe Louis, despite being the smallest, was the only one not only to deck Galento but to legitimatley stop him, the first, last and only one to do so. Kind of goes against your point huh?
Just to make a brief comparison.

Mercer took punches from Lennox, Wlad, Morrison, Holyfield, Witherspoon and Cooper, in many cases flush sustained punches in combination, and of the above was only stopped by Wlad on his feet long after his prime had ended.

Galento took punches from Louis and Max Baer (if you want to include him) and was stopped both times. A huge number of his other opponents wouldn't qualify for heavyweight or even cruiserweight nowadays. If you think that doesn't make a difference then look at Tomasz Adamek, considered iron chinned at cruiser but china chinned at heavy.

Galento was no doubt one of the toughest men of Louis's era, but he hasn't shown the same type of insane resilience as a McCall, Chuvalo, Cobb, Mercer etc to warrant a top ten spot for me. If you want to stick him on be my guest.
Absolutely! is offline  Top