View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did jack Johnson drew a color line himself?

Quote:
mcvey says : Where have you been? I've been expecting you.When did Langford become top challenger for Johnson ? Give a year? Saying from1908, until 1915 is not only vague, it is absurd.
What a joke you are. Langford for years could be viewed as the #1 or #2 challenger for Johnson for years. In fact he often fought the same guys Johnson gave title shots to and unlike Johnson, he KO’d them convincingly.

Quote:
McVey fought Johnson 3 times emphatically losing all of them. In their last encounter ,after being painfully schooled for 19 rds ,Johnson kod him in the 20th, and final round .
STOP!!! McVey was a teenager in two of those matches and but 20 in the third. FACT, FACT, FACT!!! Can you say Johnson beat a not ready for prime time McVey? Just admit it and move on!. As I told you numerous times, Jeannette had a losing record when he first meet Johnson, and was not much better than 500 when they last fought. Of course Johnson beat Langford when Sam was but 156 pounds, a far cry from the terror he would become.

Quote:
Unrforgivable Blackness does NOT say Johnson was lucky to get a draw in their fight. The NY Times did NOT have a reporter at the Johnson/ Johnson fight. They filed an A.P report.
1 ) Read the book and learn! I dare you to re-post what they said on the fight here, and in full context. 2 ) Johnson did struggle in the match with Battling Johnson.

Quote:
ACCORDING TO GUNBOAT SMITH HIMSELF ,[1972, TAPED INTERVIEW ,]HE PUT JOHNSON PART WAY THROUGH THE ROPES IN A SPARRING SESSION.
SMITH WAS NOT A LEADING CONTENDER AT THAT TIME ,IN FACT HE WAS NOT EVEN A PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER.THE NY TIMES DID NOT HAVE A REPORTER PRESENT AT THE SPARRING SESSION, THEY FILED AN A P REPORT.
Fighters are full of it sometimes. Smith also said he ( Johnson ) never for forgot it. Smith for a while was a top level contender. He was white, but far from a " hope ". Hmmm....wonder why Johnson never gave Gunboat Smith a shot, even though he beat Willard and Moran BEFORE Johnson gave them a title shot. Smith wasn't small, and could fight.

Take note, you are not saying one thing I posted in the 1st reply here is untrue, rather you attack the sources, then play double standards with sources.
Mendoza is offline  Top