View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #37
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did jack Johnson drew a color line himself?

[quote=mcvey;14690528][quote=janitor;14690291]
Quote:

McIntosh did not even put up the money for the Burns Johnson fight, he was bankrolled by others."Huge Deal " made a lot of wild offers concerning prize fights , if you look at his record of actual promotions ,that happened and compare it to all those he trumpeted ,and hyped you will find a marked disparity. I've asked you for concrete evidence, ie names of promoters ,and the amounts on offer , you haven't responded , just repeated vague allusions,I'll ask again.
Publicity talk is one thing, action another.

ps Why would Johnson sail all the way to Australia to fight Langford for $30,000 when he could get that for fighting Jim Flynn at home?
Johnson was quoted in the Chicago Daily News October 17 1912, as saying that he had signed a deal with McIntosh to fight Sam Langford on boxing day in Sydney, then Sam McVea at a later date yet to be announced, for $55 000. Another source said that Johnson was offered $50 000 for these fights. In any event, it seems that a contract was signed, but the offer was later withdrawn due to Johnson’s legal troubles.

The offer for the fight with McVea in Russia was made by a promoter called Richard Klegin, who took Sam McVea to Paris. The timing of both of these offers was bad, given that they coincided with Johnson’s legal troubles. My personal take is that Johnson was planning to retire around 1912, and wanted to cash out with a series of big money fights against Langford, McVea, Flynn and McCarthy. Ironically, his arrest and trial probably prolonged his spell as champion!
janitor is offline  Top