View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #118
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
Do you think strong emotions like anger can be used to your advantage in the ring? They said Trinidad lost to Hopkins because he let Hopkins get him angry with the flag incident. They said Khan lost to Garcia because he was angry at Garcia's dad and tried to go for the KO. Must you always be emotionless? I mean, surely it's emotion that drives you on in the first place, right?
Emotion can only spark something, it can never keep it burning. Everybody who is a master at anything explains being in the zone as autonomous, completely emotionless. If you're emotional you're not in the moment, and being in the moment is vital for success. Brain scans looking at activity in psychopaths and various experts performing their task show that brain activation is remarkably similar. Cold, calculated, unafraid and focusing only on what is in front of you right now. The same brain activity is found in buddhist monks.
Emotional regulation is the key to optimal performance, when a psychopath or an expert is confronted with a task they experience the same adrenaline and increased heart rate in anticipation as a 'normal' person, when the activity or situation begins the psychopath and expert actually slow their heart rate down and become calm in the face of adversity, that emotional stuff is buried and they're focused completely on their task. The person who gets emotional has their heart rate increase further, they go into survival mode and make poor decisions. If you're extremely fatigued or not switched on then some emotion can help performance for a short time, but that's only a brief surge.
Train your ability to turn on that cold switch, that focus switch. When you're emotional you're not focused.
dealt_with is offline  Top