View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
Sandman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: What are your views on Amir Khan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
I can see where he's coming from but it's not true, plenty of white boxers with great AM careers have had way less publicity in Britain and Europe than Amir did when he turned pro, terrestrial TV, national news, every casual knows who Amir Khan is, and being a ****stani gave him a big following too don't forget, it's a two sided coin

perhaps "If I was white I'd be a superstar" should be changed to "If I didn't lose my Sky PPV debut via KO in less than a minute I'd be a superstar" I remember that night, Khan nay-sayers like to laugh about that KO, but it was a serious, serious embarrassment at the time
You have to take into consideration that Amir was a Silver medallist, and in that Olympic year, he was the only boxer who secured a medal. Not really a fair comparison to those boxers with great AM careers. As we've seen with the current crop of boxers who have been successful at the Olympics, it brings a great deal of publicity. However, you're definitely right about it being a 'two sided coin' as he most definitely got extra publicity due to his background.

Amir, has only himself to blame and the people around him. As for that knockout, it was one of the major reason for me becoming a fan of Amir's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kautilya View Post
Not a Troll. I am curious how people around the world see him. In Pakstan he is god. He was a hero to british when got his silver. I am curious, with his recent action how do people see him. I mean he is still a hero in Pak.
Just like any other medalist, he did the country proud by gaining a medal. A 'hero'? You're definitely a troll. He maybe popular amongst the extremely affluent people in ****stan, However, the common man in ****stan will never have heard of him and would hardly take an interest in him. Amir hasn't captivated his own ****stani community in Britain, how on earth has he done it in ****stan?
Sandman is offline  Top