View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #229
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makingweight View Post
Dempsey read the article about John Duddy i heard he had a bad deal didn't realise the extent of it.I have friends in New York & he at least came out the other end & has got on with his life where it's easy to get bitter when you find out you have been treated so badly.

He has at least got into acting friend of mine over your side of the pond knows him he also helps run a bar both of which he enjoys.Next time i speak to him he may be able to tell me a bit more about what went on which i will post if it adds anything to the story.

My favourite fighter was Hagler he also had brothers looking after him & at times with better links his career could of been pushed on quicker imo.The difference being they cared for Marvin & i believe that is the difference.

From your own experience fights can fall through for a number of reasons & in the case of Hagler imo it was the case of he was known as a dangerous fighter who was avoided also early days not a big ticket sellar.You also have touched on ticket sales by fighters this is an overlooked facet of the game.Some fans wonder why certain fighters get opportunties quicker over in Britain for domestic titles it comes down to this.
M, good to hear, I saw Duddy when he was coming up and met some of the behind the scenes guys involved with his career. Ticket sales count and I don't mean the type you sell to family and friends.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top