View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #232
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Is my thinking correct in that the contracts are totally structured towards the organisation in that a fighter can have for example a 4 fight deal but should a loss occur that fighter can be released?
You are correct the contract is structured more to protect the promoter, Don King's attorney told me that he structured DKP's promotional to close all loopholes for the fighter.

I want to give you two examples of clauses that could appear in a promotional contract. Let's say the promoter offers you 4 fights a year, the contract is specific, 4 fights you say. At the end of the year you go and say to the promoter, "hey I only fought twice last year you owe me two fights."
The promoter tells you, "remember the fight we offered you in Sept, that you turned down cos you were getting married, and that other fight we offered you and you turned it down cos you felt you didn't have enough time to get ready? You fought two fights, and you turned down two fights that totals four fights, we gave you the opportunity to fight on four different shows.
The second clause is the the minimum purses for a fight, it might be specific as to rounds, ex. 4rds you get X, 6, 8, 10 and 12 you get X, it says specifically how much you will be paid for each fight. The promoter comes to you in the dressing room and says, "we are losing money on this show, and really cant afford your fight, if you take a 50% cut in your pay we will put you on. The fighter says whoa my minimum is this, why should I take a cut on my purse. The promoter will say, yes your minimum is this and you signed the bout agreement with that amount, but if you look at your contract you will see this line"unless otherwise agreed to". So the fighter is given a choice fight at a reduced purse or dont fight, and this fight counts as one of the fights we have to offer you.

Quote:
Dempsey with regards ticket sales over here there is a fighter i know that was asked how many tickets he could sell for a fight took too many tickets but they were not on a sell or return basis !Obviously that was the promoters side but a case also of being badly managed. Had to pay out from his own pocket & basically fought for free.
Over here on an upcoming local show, the fighter has to sell enough tickets to cover his opponents purse. I dont want to sign big headed, but not my guys, if my guys sell tickets it's because they can, and it means an extra amount added to his purse. My guys get 20%, of ticket sales, otherwise fergitboutit.

I feel for those guys that have to pay for their own fights, cos it really is a pain collecting the money and tracking people down.

Quote:
In your experience what was the best story you heard of a fighter that was overpaid?
Believe me no fighter ever thinks they are overpaid, they all believe they are getting slave wages, and getting screwed by the evil promoters.

Fighters have to know what they are worth and how much is on the table, and to realize that they have to be reasonable in their dealings. Thats why I try to build a fanbase for my guys, so that I have leverage when it comes to negotiating.

Quote:
Top level being one thing but over here sometimes the journeymen can be better paid than the prospect just to save a show.
[/quote]

I have dealt with a few UK promoters and yes you are right, the opponent or the "B" side is paid more cos the promoter is bringing in the right opponent or bringing in a fighter from the US, to face a local killer. To face even a used up veteran from the US means more for for the UK promoter cos then he can get more play cos the local is facing an American fighter, the average fan, doesn't know it's a set-up, all they know is that the local hero is fighting a "tough" American.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top