Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #95
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime MW Pavlik v. GGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester proctor View Post
OK sounded too high. Did Rodriguez deny it?

Macklin's still looking for his first world title, and he passes on his shot on HBO headliner, for Alcine deep on the undercard, for half the money, say.

The fact that GGG had little promotional backing should have encouraged the Sturm and HNN to fight him. NJikam in particular would easily win the purse bid, and have hometown judges ready. If he made it the distance of course. He preferred to drop his belt instead.
There was a quote circulating on the Scene from facebook wherein Rodriguez claimed that he agreed to less than $500k and that Golovkin was lying about willing to fight up to 168 since there had to be a catchweight. I never saw the original though, so I'm not sure how legit it is. The story I read from actual reporters was that HBO wasn't crazy about Golovkin taking on anyone above middleweight.

The Macklin thing I think can be attributed as much to short notice as anything else, as with Quillin. Again, I'm not sure Macklin would like to Golovkin, but I think there were enough mitigating circumstances in that instance to not make a matter of simple avoidance.
purephase is offline  Top