View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Assuming the Quigg fight won't be made, who should Frampton fight next?

There is absolutely no need to rush him towards a World title shot. He's only had 16 fights for God's sake, even if he does hold some impressive wins in that period. Luckily, the division is so stacked that there are plenty of meaningful tests out there for him who don't hold a belt and the older, fading names would be the ones I'd target.

I'd rule out Vic though. He may have looked done at World level against Yamanaka and Moreno but that's a completely different situation to fighting someone like Frampton. He showed how much of a live threat and how dangerous he is in his last fight when he beat Del Valle, who I really considered a top prospect.

But a couple of other names mentioned in this thread, Montiel and Mathebula, would be great tests IMO. Montiel is more shopworn IMO than Vic and he doesn't pose the awkwardness that Darchinyan brings either. Although he was a top class fighter just a few years ago, it's a style that looks to have caught up with him and vs. someone who is as sharp in his punching and movement as Frampton is, I think he'd majorly struggle these days.

Mathebula has never been all that and is hardly a spring chicken himself. Out of the three, that's probably the fight I'd look for most because I think, whilst providing a test for Frampton, he'd be the best to look good against.
JFT96 is offline  Top