P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Harry Wills Articles

[quote]
[quote=PowerPuncher;14739931]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post

Wills felt (with some justification) that Rickard was trying to cheat him out of his title shot, by matching him against the most dangerous contenders, until he got the result that he wanted. He therfore sat on his #1 ranking and tried to force a fight with Dempsey.

Well Wills is disputing this saying Tunney avoided the fight too

If you believe otherwise you're taking Rickard's and Kearn's words as gospel, in which fact you have to take their statements that Dempsey avoided Wills
Lets start with the obvious question of who had the most to gain from the fight.

Tunney stood to establish himself as the #1 contender by beating Wills, while Wills would have gained nothing from beating Tunney.

Quote:
The case you're referring too is before the Firpo fight, when Wills manager sued Dempsey to enforce

As a Dempsey fan are you saying this is why Dempsey avoided Wills after Firpo? This was before Dempsey signed the contract to face Wills and renegaded on the commitment
No, I am saying that it is one part of a complex set of circumstances, that you paint as being simple.

Quote:
Again this was never a Dempsey thread, but you've entered it to turn it that way despite everything else
The irony is not lost on me.

I guess that if everybody else gets to do this, then it is only fair that I get my turn.

Quote:
Yes you are a Dempsey apologist, that's your historic position on Wills. That's your only reason for entering this thread, you haven't read the sources and have come in to talk about Dempsey despite this thread having little to do with Jack Dempsey

You very rarely bring any primary sources and when you do they don't usually back up what you're saying
At least I will acknowledge primary sources that do not suport my position, rather than trying to find a reason to dismiss them.

The irony is that in a setting with a more orthodox view on Dempsey, I might have ended up being the person making the case for Wills!
janitor is offline  Top