View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #244
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB50MJ View Post
I also had a question about managers getting fighters fights. Now Mike Tyson was fighting around 1 or 2 times a month when he was coming through the ranks and had 27 fights in a year and a half before he became champion. And i heard that it is very hard for managers to get that many fights for an up and coming pro.

Is it really that hard for a manager to do this? And what would it take for a manager to accomplish this?
Tyson was an exception, he had smart boxing guys who bought fights for Mike and were willing to to spend money pushing him into the limelight. He fought anywhere and everywhere coming up, for whatever his management team were working on a plan, and it worked but then two of the team's guidng forces died(Cus D'amto and Jimmy Jacobs, leaving Mike rudderless for the rest of his career.
Today that would be harder and more expensive to have that many bodies lined up. All of Mike's opponents at that time were hand picked to add to the perception that he was a giant killer. Mike, fought big, slow guys, 6'4", 6'5", 6'6", guys that were taller and bigger. In boxing $ dictates, remember at first Tyson didn't have a high profile promoter.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top