View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #23
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Ike Williams

Ike was a good friend of mine, so this one is especially hard for me to be unbiased in assessing. The late LA Times writer Jim Murray once described him as being so good with his hands that he "could have played piano with his gloves on" and that he possessed "all the fighting instincts of a treed leopard." Those were pretty darn accurate descriptions of this amazing fighter.

Could Ike's ripping uppercuts and slashing hooks be enough to keep the powerful Armstrong at bay? I dunno. That's the key question for me. Zivic was able to, but he was naturally bigger and stronger than Ike. Williams at his best proved to have the right style to handle the pressure fighters like Beau Jack and Bob Montgomery. But could he have done so against the ultimate pressure fighter? I also must factor in that I think Hank would have been a more effective fighter if he'd remained at lightweight.

I favor Hank, but not by much. Ike may indeed have the tools and power to handle him and keep him from imposing his will.
Surf-Bat is online now  Top