View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #138
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ray Leonard: Best Fighter of the 80's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
One could very well argue his victories over Duran, Hearns and Hagler can and should make him the consensus choice as best fighter of the decade.

Then again, those victories mark just about the only fights he had in the decade. More or less. It could then just as easily be argued that he couldn't possibly deserve such laurels given the dearth of total fights. One of his biggest and best victories (Benitez) didn't even occur during the 80's, further clouding the issue.

I leave it then to you..........does Ray Leonard deserve to be called the best fighter of the 1980's?
yes, I put Leonard at top.... 2-1 over Duran, 1-0 over Benitez, 1-1 with Hearns (according to Leonard), 1-0 over Hagler after a 5 year rest.
I watched the Leonard - Hagler fight a few times. to me it looked like a walk in the park for Leonard, not sure why all of the controversy.
Beating Lalonde to become the first 4 and 5 division winner seemed more of a publicity stunt than a historic accomplishment to me. I think it was more important in historical perspective beating members of the fab four.
MMJoe is offline  Top