View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #263
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Now folks, lets talk bout the David Price vs Tony Thompson fight. Is it a good example of bad management, rushing a fighter or a greedy promoter? It was a comination of all three. IMO that did Price in, but the one to blame is the manager/advisor if he had one. They accepted the fight, Price's team could have said and should have said "give us a few more fights then we will see.". The promoter should have protected Price and given him the opportunity to gain experience. This fight tells me, that either the promoter didn't know what he had, an inexperienced guy who might be chinny, or the promoter was paying Price big money and he needed to put on somebody with a name to justify what he is paying Price or that the TV demanded he fight somebody cos they were paying big time purses.
Tyson Fury is next, he is another one who lacks the experience and probably making great money, his promoter is going to make matches to justify that money.
Price is managed by Frank Maloney who back in the day managed Lennox Lewis.Maloney really made the deal of a lifetime in signing Lewis.This country had been crying out for a heavyweight champion going back a century he sold the angle to Lewis & the rest is history!He was also dealing with a very very intelligent man in Lewis who once he broke through here Maloney became manager in name only Lewis was making the decisions compounded when he teamed up with Manny Steward.The business decisions were made generally by himself ie opponents & he was well aware of his value purse wise PPV etc.Maloney was kept on by Lewis because he showed an appreciation for Maloneys initial belief in Lewis no other reason.What it gave Maloney was a great selling point to any fighter especially heavyweights i managed Lewis i know how to take you to the top!

Price has a contract that is due to expire very soon with Maloney the fight against Thompson was shown over here on boxnation Mr W's subscription channel.They rolled the dice trying to get him ranked which it would of done had he won & the cynic in me tells me they wanted to show Price they were the right manager & tv platform to move him on.I strongly believe he has a deal in place to move promoter very soon.

Long winded reply but this is just my view there is a lot of talk about Price being signed on expiration of contract by Matchroom boxing Eddie Hearn the promoter with his exclusive SKY deal.I 100% expect that to happen.

Over here you can see that having a lot of truth Price is a regular guest on the weekly SKY boxing show here ringside why would they bring him on if he is fighting on a diffferent platform long term?Obvious to me!
Makingweight is offline  Top