View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #27
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300
Default Re: Fighters Floyd Mayweather must fight to get 15-20 ATG status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwdu View Post
Whereas SRL's natural weight class is 147-160, FMJ's is 130/135-147, so I think it's unfair to cross-polinate him (FMJ) with the best 154's boxing has seen so far and expect him to dominate - or even beat them.

What I think could be more plausible is the line you toed in an earlier post in this thread - do it p4p & see whether what FMJ accomplished at, say, 135, is less than, equal to, or greater than what other greats did at their own more natural weight class; for example SRL/Hearns at an average 154.

I think your earlier take on Mayweather vis-a-vis Whitaker is right on the money.

P34c3
SRL's natural weight class is actually 147lbs. Nevertheless, he looks more impressive at 147lbs then Mayweather does at 130lbs, and Mayweather is the greatest of all time at 130lbs.

The thing is..for P4P rankings, what makes Duran Top 10 is not just what he did to make him the greatest lightweight of all time arguably, but it was his past prime run at middleweight etc. So it's not completely right to compare them at their natural weight class only, if they have been able to achieve greatness at a weightclass that isn't their own. It's about their whole legacy and if they can do great things despite being past their prime, of course that adds to their greatness.

Either way, Mayweather would have to move up to 160lbs and also beat all of the others to be worthy of being in with the top men. People at the classic boxing forum may still disagree and think this would only warrant a top 30 position.

EDIT: I think I misread your post. If Hearns and Benitez and Duran were in their prime weight, they would beat Mayweather if Mayweather had the same prime weight.
anj is offline  Top