View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #333
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
A managers job:
"My job is to call them and tell them that's what [Top Rank] wants to do and let them hash it over," Cameron Dunkin said.
Top Rank offered Mikey Garcia a fight with Juanma Lopez in Puerto Rico, Lopez is Puerto Rican. A manager should have some input in the decision making process, especially in this fight the location can make a difference, and not where most people would think. The officials are for the most part brought in and both fighters camps have a say over who the judges and referee are. The judges and ref might be the most honest officials there are but the real culprit will appear in the form of the crowd, their cheering and or hostility towards the visitor will be felt and that is where things can go wrong and as sometimes happens influences a decision.
The manager should try to get the fight moved if he hasnt done that already since he is the champ(Mikey Garcia). My take is that while Garcia is the champ, he is the "B" side, he has no real ability to put asses in the seats, Juanma is the "A" side, he can put asses in seats , especially in Puerto Rico. Top Rank is looking to make the most money possible for themselves and the fighters so from a business POV its on solid ground.
To me it's wise to get everybody's take on the fight, but at the end of the day the manager has to do his job and that is to protect the fighter. Trainer's who are both family members and trainers may have different agendas the manager has to look at it with cold eyes.
The manager's agenda is to get the best deal possible, including re-match clauses if possible and maybe thats the case here. My belief is too many cooks may spoil the stew if the manager lets it get out of hand.
Great insightful post dempsey at many levels as the away fighter you really are 2-3 rounds down from the get go crowd reaction to punches landed or not do sway the judges.
We had a fight here that any uk based fan will back me up on was a total & utter disgrace to the point Stevie Wonder would have seen how to call it.Worst decision i have ever seen here in the uk by a margin Cox v Sai the african kid won at least 9 of the 12 rounds.Got jobbed was totally outboxing Cox who just threw low blows the ref 'constantly' missed it BS.
The thing that made it worse it was a hotel black suit & tie show ringside 'fans' more interested in the food & wine than the fight.So no fan reaction was Mr.W last sky show the sky panel were disgusted also.
Makingweight is offline  Top