View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #367
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
Where did you read the part about Jim Jacobs and Bill Cayton paying for Tyson & his opponents purses in his early days?
It's really a common practice, even today. Whats usually done is a manager approaches a promoter, says, "Can you put my guy on I will pay for my fighter if you pay for the opponent, the promoter may or may not accept that he might say "I will put your fighter on if you pay for the opponent also. Remember Tyson at that time didnt have a promoter and was relativily unknown to most fan's at the time.
Dont take it to mean it was a fixed fight, it was buying a spot on someone's show, thats all.
The Tyson buildup was a masterful managerial plan, they were beholding to nobody. When Cus and Jacobs died that changed everything King took over and Tyson now is almost broke.
I really didn't read it anywhere, I know it for a fact, suffice it to say when you have a fighter, sometimes you have to be able to put him on a card to keep him active that is if you can afford it and Tyson's team could and they stuck to their game plan to start a sometimes brilliant and tragic career.

Last edited by dempsey1234; 05-16-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: adding a word
dempsey1234 is offline  Top