Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #48
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Mike Tyson v Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe E View Post
Stop with the Hopkins non sense. Tunney was well capable of exploiting Tysons mental health issues. Tillis, Tucker, and Douglas did it with movement and their skills. Neither were close to being the mechanic that Tunney was.
Not nonsense at all. In fact it underscores my point. Just because you have superior skills it doesn't mean that you can apply them with any degree of success against someone who is so much bigger, stronger, FASTER and harder-hitting than you are. The thought of Tunney trying to apply his "science" against an elemental force like Tyson is laughable to me. He'd get completely overwhelmed.

Tillis, Tucker and Douglas were also far bigger, stronger and harder-hitting than Tunney. And you overrate Tunney when you refer to him being some sort of sublime pugilistic "mechanic". I realize that this is the popular notion of him. But if you really study his career you realize that he wasn't. A tough and capable boxer, yes. But some untouchable heavyweight Willie Pep? Endowed with the mechanical genius of Archie Moore? Not even close.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top