View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #437
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

One of the fights of the year at the weekend for me Provodnikov v Alvarado both earned every dollar of their purses $600k to the challenger & Mile High $1.3m.

What struck me & would like to hear others views obviously Dempsey & others the trend we always hear here in the UK for a fighter being 'big at the weight'.To me it's an individual basis some guys can cut a decent amount of weight safely rehydrate & come fight night if skillsets are pretty even the obvious advantage is worth it.Individual being the key not a given rule.

Alvarado had cut a lot of weight & boy did it tell even in the first Provodnikov though visibly smaller physically looked so strong & was getting through with hurtful shot's from the first.To me it looked like the ref got involved at the end of the 10th Tony Weeks made a great call because the 11th would have been a brutal stoppage.You live to fight another day.

For Alvarado he was given every chance & to me was lucky to be given the benefit of the doubt in the 8th as was rising on 9 many ref's would have waived it off.I hope his management team advise him to take a very long break & choose his next fight carefully & invest the money made.Alvarado his last three fights have been total wars Rios X2 & Provodnikov there are only so many wars a career can withstand.Provodnikov did a great job a real throwback 50's,60's type fighter makes you fight his fight exciting & made for TV.
Makingweight is offline  Top