View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #68
Strongback
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Matchroom's Christmas Card - What a Massive Fail!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
Crolla vs Sykes doesn't make any sense at all to the two fighters nor the promoters.

One guys rebuilding his career domestically and the others just joined the promotion. Also the fact he was to face Martin Gethin for the British title at Lightweight a weight above Sykes best fighting weight and Gethin being world ranked with the IBF it made more sense for Crolla to face Gethin in Manchester then on the Excel bill.

Sadly Gethin pulls out so they got in Foster Jnr at late notice which was a decent replacement at short notice after being messed around. Sykes was waiting for the Stephen Smith issue to be resolved for the British Super Featherweight title so for me it wasn't a logical match up for both men.

All this stuff about having a name on the bill to me isn't even making sense. Quigg and Crolla more of a name then Kevin Mitchell? and Mitchell's in with a guy with a decent record of European quality. Mitchell's not looked exactly great so this could be more of a test then people think.

The younger guys on the bill are getting a platform to showcase themselves to the Sky viewers. It's about time we saw the likes of Ricky Boylan and Tony Owen who was involved in one of the domestic fights of the year on the October O2 undercard were shown to the TV audience.

If Hearn held these name fighters back for this Excel show he'd of lost money if he brought in the quality of opponent they need/you demand. Some of his name fighters won't be shifting loads and loads of tickets so close to Christmas unless they're in with someone pretty damn good. Plus it's a London bill with mostly London fighters and the odd Northern ''name'' getting a run out against mediocre opposition.

I agree Quigg's opponent on Froch-Groves undercard was piss poor but it was a quick turn-a-round fight for someone who just come off a draw a month previous.

I just don't see it your way. These unknown quantities and these European fella's could put up excellent fights. I've seen bits of Zamora and he's been in with good company like Shafikov and got a draw and then lost to him and he's been abroad to Panama and fought to a draw for the WBA Interim Light-Welter title and is a big guy for LW. Purdy's opponent is good fighter i'd love to see him vs Gavin in all honesty. I think sometimes we're to critical of fighters we don't know much about.

So good matches shouldn't be made?????

Eddie shouldn't look for good opponents because that costs money?????

Name fighters make a card. It makes absolute sense. Why do you think people think Mitchell versus a no name Italian is dull?????

You have an excuse for everything but the reality is the card is poor and not up to the level matchroom have promoted themselves on.

Wazza is apparently going around without an arse in his trousers and yet he can put on as good or better a card than Matchroom!!!!!!!

Sky are bankrolling these Matchroom shows, it is perfectly fair and reasonable to expect a card that is a lot better than what Frank can put on.

Matchroom had all year to put plan their schedule. It's quite obvious they are now running on fumes at this stage as evidenced by the card.

BTW has Purdy been been exonerated of the fraud charged?
Strongback is offline  Top