Old 12-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #367
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs. Sonny Liston

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
How old was Liston when he fought Martin? Marciano at the same age might have fared the same. You pick a green Liston v Marshall,[ whom Liston dominated later ,]and an old one v Martin to make your case. Marciano retired in his prime ,it would be interesting to see him pushing 40 taking on the young tigers.

Marciano was in danger of being stopped on cuts against Keene Simmons and Charles yet he is going to take all Sonny can dish out?

Remind me when Marciano met a 200lbs plus heavy duty puncher in his prime? One who also possesses decent skills and a telegraph pole left jab?

If you read my post I said unfortunately Liston folded up when in tough and that crack in his armor would be a hard weakness (wide crack in his armor) against Marciano, like I said before Marciano beat guys 6"4 and and guys 220-250lbs but when he won the title the top #1 contenders happened to the smaller better men, Archie beat some very big men on his way to Marciano, so did Walcott guys 6"6 and Charles 6'3 and Lastarza got rid of Dan B.....

Marciano defended his title against the better men who beat the bigger men...I do think Marciano would have had a much easier time breaking down Baker,Valdez then the ATG Moore,Charles and Walcott, even Layne was 34-1-1 and beat the man who beat and drew with him when he faced Rocky and Layne was called by Nat Fleischer as the next Dempsey and next champ but the sudden clean and brutal KO ruined Layne as did fight one with Charles (emptied Ezz tank) war 1 with Walcott (brutal KO) and the 53-3 LaStarza beat everyman to beat him except Rocky but was ruined in fight 2, and Archie took a horrific beating head and body (and was never the same) even though he was still a great and went 38-4-2 post Rocky.....Rocky beat the best men available 5 #1 contenders should he apologize that the bigger men were not the better men of the era

I see Marciano on the inside of Liston, breaking him down and after Sonny throws down his best the little monster keeps throwing punches in bunches with ill intent and Sonny gets tired of the game
Bummy Davis is offline  Top