View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #52
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Greater Resume: Lewis or Holmes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgoblin
I don't entirely agree here. I don't call it much of a "break" to get up in the middle of the round (not saved by the bell) while you are really hurt and have to face a murderous puncher like Shavers. Some will say at least he had a chance, that is better than being outright stopped but I'm not sure how well Lewis would have done in the situation. You can make a weak case for Lewis' stoppages not being legitimate but I do believe that if he was allowed to continue - he would have been stopped shortly. He seemsed to indicate overwise against Vitali at the twilight of his career - but that is my opinion anyway.

Usually I don't like it when someone says that Lewis had a glass chin or "if McCall could KO Lewis with 1 punch than so can..." or stuff like "those two losses forever tarnish him as an ATG." I don't entertain such arguments. However, in COMPARISON to Larry Holmes, RELATIVELY, those two losses to ordinary contenders really do look bad when comparing against a guy that was 48-0 near the end of his career and even if he did get knocked down, he fixed it up right there and then in amazing display. I don't really hold much water to the controversial losses to Spinks in 1985 but clearly a controversial decision loss to Spinks during the twlight of your career isn't nearly as bad as 2 KO losses to ordinary contenders during your prime - one of them that Holmes would go on to school later.

I definitely say Holmes had the better record.
Great post.
Bill1234 is offline  Top