Old 07-27-2007, 04:03 AM   #36
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765
Default Re: Forgotten great lightweights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
TBooze, you have produced a well considered and carefully thought out list. Of course I have disagreements with it, but it doesn't suffer from the period prejudices my preferences are confined by. (My hardcore aversion to the 12 round limit for example.) I guess I'm most surprised that you have Greb so low, and Carpentier so high. At the same time, the ranks of those who boxed in the LW division at one time or another is well-represented.

Innovation and evolutionary contributions are significant to me as well as head to head performance, and promotion of boxing's popularity and public acceptance. That's why I'd have a list which includes John L. Sullivan and Dempsey. As to how many would be included on such a list, I can assure you that it would not be diluted with overflow for marketing purposes, as the IBHOF is.
Thanks it is very hard to write out and indeed justify such lists. To a degree it is ludicrous, because at the extremes you are rating a 95lbs man in 1910 (Wilde) against a 250lbs man from 2001 (Lewis).

I have bias because I know more about some fighters and because of that, that has positive (Carpentier/Foreman) or negative (Ross/Greb) affect.
TBooze is offline  Top