View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #21
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most Underated Middleweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoppaZoo
i have to say without a doubt in my mind.

LES DARCY.
i know im an Aussie but there are unbelievable stats and stories on this guy.

like one stat the only man to KO George Chip. Chip had just beaten Harry Greb then he came to Australia to take on the great Les Darcy he was Knocked Out cold in the 9th round. and Chip in his whole career was only stopped once.

then there was Eddie McGoorty who had never been stopped inside a boxing ring until he met Darcy and on both occasions he was KO'd.
and McGoorty had beaten guys like Battling Levinsky and George Chip.

so i can honestly say that because he died so young that he may have been the best boxer that the USA never really got to see.

although he beat some of the best Middleweights getting around at the time in Jimmy Clabby,Eddie McGoorty and George Chip.
he never got to face and i say beat the likes of Harry Greb,Mike Gibbons,Battling Levinsky,Mike McTigue,Al McCoy and Gene Tunney.

but i would have to say he would have been able to beat a fair few of those men mentioned. why because in Australia at the time Darcy was fighting 20 round match's and Greb and other USA fighters were only fighting 10 round fights.

anyway that why i think he is the most underated Middleweight all time.
Joey Giardello gets a shout from me ,Freddie Steele a good mention from another poster,how good was Tommy Ryan,?Valdes obviously suffered substantially by being around in the Monzon years,he may well have had an extended reign.Holman Williams was another good pick from a poster.
mcvey is offline  Top