Old 07-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #50
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Butter Bean Esch vs Tony Galento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
But see, that's all assuming since you assume very easily that Louis is the monster of the legend(I highly respect guys like Louis, these are the building blocks). If I have to find every single wide punch Louis throws with a total lack of guard and proper positiong(considering Louis was of the modern ruleset, we can't use this excuse anymore), or even the shorter shots utilising no guard or positing and the flat footed footwork, then I will do so.
You needn't go that far, but staying on the subject of tight, crisp punches, I will do so for a brief clip:

BORKED

Aside from a hookercut-ish thing that he winds up at the beginning, and another similar punch during infighting later on, Louis's punches all come from guard position. He hangs one jab out there once as you point out, and Schmeling capitalizes by nailing him with a right hand--so he couldn't have been that clueless. The leaping left hook is an off-balancing punch, but so is Floyd Patterson's.

One other thing I notice--the gloves are smaller than they are today, and the still seem to use some vestiges of the arm-parrying rather than glove-parrying of an earlier period. This may account for one or two weirder movements, and the hands being a little further out. It may be intentional and sensible, given the small gloves. Then again, it might be a flaw such as you were referring to. Ideally we could test it and see.

Quote:
I'm seeing that ball of dough for what he really is, because I'm judging the fighting without even considering who they are when watching.
But that is a mistake. One must always consider who they're watching--for instance, a fringe contender can look like Tyson against most journeymen, but their flaws only start showing when they step up in class.

Quote:
This is also a good method to use when picking winners of up and coming fights, to not get involved with any sort of hype, I picked out Antonio Margarito for his serious flaws in the modern times as not being a true elite level practicioner... however, Margarito in comparison to that ball of dough is a masterful artist, there is no way getting around it mate.
Believe me, it's baffling to me how Galento could have been a top contender. He truly looks as awful as you say. But Louis, and many other fighters of that period, do not. If Galento was truly as bad as you say--and he looks it--then even Louis's somewhat "primitive" skills should still have annihilated him. Wouldn't you expect as much?
cross_trainer is offline  Top