View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #29
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the consensus on Tim Witherspoon vs Larry Holmes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Boxing News and the NY Times had Spoon winning. Anyone that didn't have this fight very close is not to be taken seriously.
I didn't say that it was not close. I did say it was COMPETITIVE. But the winner was clear - Larry Holmes. It is sort of like asking what is higher? 90 or 100? It is close - but clear that 100 is higher. Ali-Frazier I. Competitive fight - clear winner - Joe Frazier. I saw the 9th round again on youtube - now I'm retracting giving round 9 to Holmes. It's tough - I'd have to see it again. Maybe a 10 10 round.

I don't care what Boxing News and NY Times have to say. Watching a fight is hardly a scholarly subject - those paid writers have hardly little more authority than a fan who enthusiastically watches a fight. Sure it helps to have inside access to fighters or know some facts - but those writers are not "experts". "Boxing experts" are rare - you need the experience (Merchant lacks this) and the sophistication (Foreman lacks this) and insight. Cus D Amato is an example of a true expert.
hobgoblin is offline  Top