View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who Looks Most "Beatable" in the 1970s: Ron Lyle, Earnie Shavers, or George Foreman?

It depends on the style of my fighter, and the time when the match happened in the 1970's. Here me out.

Foreman was at his best from 1970-1973

Lyle was likely at his best from say 1974-1978

Shavers was likely at his best from 1973-1979.

Post Ali, Foreman was a mess, and really had issues with Lyle and Young, though he had an easy time with Frazier again.

All three are tough matches for a smaller forward moving fighter who does not take the best punch in the world, but I would say Foreman would be the hardest of the three.

Lyle, for my money is a better boxer with far more stamina than Foreman, and Shavers to me hit a trifle harder than Foreman, and was a bit faster with his punches.

I would say Foreman was the hardest match up, then Lyle, then Shavers.

However if your using Frazier as an example here, he wasn't always a fast starter, and Shavers was. So maybe Shavers is more dangerous than we think.

IMO, Frazier could easily lose to Shavers or Lyle when they were in their prime years, and Frazier was not. ( 1973-1978 ) This is a reason why Frazier never fought them, and picked lower ranked, non-power punching fighters or fighters that had already beaten that were outside of their primes.
Mendoza is offline  Top