View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who Looks Most "Beatable" in the 1970s: Ron Lyle, Earnie Shavers, or George Forem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Although Shavers seems to be leading in the pole, I think a fair case can be made for Lyle as well, but I don't think it really matters. The point illustrated here, is that neither of those two appeared to be as formidable as George Foreman anytime between 1973-1976. Frazier taking the fight with Foreman in 1973, and again in 1976, explodes any myths about him ducking Shavers and Lyle because they were dangerous punchers, and certainly any misconceptions about them being better fighters.
Foreman was on a huge slide post Ali. He looked very beatable. Foreman was but one of many matches for Frazier. I think Lyle did better vs Foreman than Frazier by a mile. I also believe Patterson, Lyle, Norton and Shavers could have meet Frazier.

Bunger, a washed up Ellis, Stander, Daniels, Quarry, and others simply did not pose the same danger level for Frazier as Lyle, Shavers, Norton Or Patterson, which is a reason why I beleive they were not selected despite being ranked higher from 1972-1977.
Mendoza is offline  Top