View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Amir Khan: I will soon be Untouchable

http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/n...Nightlead.html

Amir Khan has predicted he will soon become "untouchable" under new trainer Jorge Rubio.
Rubio, who has a home in Miami but was once coach of the Cuban amateur boxing team, is working with the Bolton fighter for the first time ahead of the defence of his WBO Intercontinental lightweight title against Colombian Breidis Prescott at Manchester's MEN arena on Saturday night.
Khan, 21, who has been floored twice in his 19 unbeaten contests to date, revealed Rubio has already tightened up his defence but believes there is much more to come from their relationship.
"After meeting Jorge and learning the things I had never done before, it showed me how much I was behind," said Khan.
"He has taught me so much in eight weeks and I know in another two or three fights, I will be untouchable.
"I am a quick learner, I pick up things quicker than most fighters and I'm young and hungry.
"It's been like a switch back to the amateur days, back to basics, with a lot of speed work.
"Everything's gone so well I feel strong and fit and I've made the weight easier.
"As soon as we get the structure right and get some fights under my belt, I will be perfect."
Rubio was at pains to rein in the expectations invested in Khan but admits that in the long term, his new protege can go all the way.
He said: "This is the first time I have been working with him and he is at 90% of his potential at the moment but he will be 100% in the future.
"He needs to get more power behind his speed and we have been working on his defence.
"But he will be the world champion one day."
Khan doubts that Prescott can live up to his 19-0 record which includes 17 knockouts, saying,
"He may have a good record but who has he fought? He's never fought anyone like Amir Khan.
"I've seen videos of him and he hasn't fought anyone like me in terms of hand-speed and power.
"He's going to be strong - he's got the height advantage, he's got the reach advantage, but I've done my homework and I know how to deal with that.
"He fought someone half-decent in his last fight and it was a 50-50, a close fight but I would have given it to the other fighter.
"You get fighters coming in to the ring with me who say they are quick but when they see how quick and hard I hit them that's when their game plan disappears.
"I want to be a world champion at a young age so these are the fights I need.
"I've got my game plan and I'm going to stick to that."
Prescott predicted a four-round knockout on Saturday but looked less confident at the pre-fight press conference when he repeated his intentions.
He said: "I just want to say congratulations to Amir Khan.
"But I think I'm prepared to beat him, hopefully in four rounds, and let's see how it goes."

Yes folks, a few people the other day were saying that Khan wasn't arrogant and rather young and naive...then this...

First he boasts how he will be 'untouchable' within 2 or 3 fights with his new trainer then starts talking in 3rd person in regards to Bredis Prescott 'he's never fought an Amir Khan'

Is it any wonder the kid is disliked here on ESB? He's been pro nearly 3 years and hasn't even fought the best Britain has to offer (unless you count a shot Graham Earl 1 fight removed from an utter beating as that).

Your thoughts?
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links