View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #39
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Foreman - Is it telling that...

Quote:
[
The point I am making is neither man really beat any of the best men of the era. What was exactly their big impact. Both had wins over top men of the seventies and their fame carried into the nineties when the best they could do, other than Foreman's win over Moorer, was to beat a contender here or there.
[/quote]

Did Bowe beat Lewis, or vice versa? Did Tyson beat Bowe? Did Lewis beat Moorer? Did Tyson, Lewis or Holyfield meet each other in their prime? The answer to all the above questions is no. No one really established themselves as a dominearing force in the 90's. That was partially my point when establishing that Holmes and Foreman, 2 members of past ereas, had a profound efect on a division that wasn't really as solid as some make it out to be. If Holyfield was the best fighter of the nineties, and foreman and Holmes both went the distance, plus beat a few contenders along the way, is that not having an impact? Homes completely outboxed a prime class contender in Ray Mercer. Foreman defeated Moorer, stewart, Rodriguez, Savarese, Grimsley, and picked up a world title in the process. I would like to list the acheivements of Ali, Frazier and Norton in the 90's, but unfortunately, they were unable to participate due to Ali's developing parkinson's, Norton's accident on the Sante Monica freeway rendering him crippled, and Frazier was somewhat disabled as well.
mr. magoo is offline  Top