Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #72
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes vs Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
No thats not a fair comparison...Holmes still had some left and the 2nd fight was closer but I did not think Holmes won, we been down that road before...Spinks took Holmes title, Holmes did not take his. I think Charles was a far superior fighter than Spinks @ 175 and Heavyweight, Charles brought so much more to the table.
Trouble is we aren't matching the Holmes of the Spinks fights, who was operating on about 50% and 65% of peak capacity. We are talking the classy operator who shutout Shavers, pounded Leon Spinks, etc. The Holmes struggles in the Spinks matches have no bearing at all in this one. Just like Charles getting ko'ed by Middleweights and getting dropped 87 times.

As for the Spinks rematch, well 90% or more scored it for Holmes by about 4 points and it was well known that Holmes continual bashing of the establishment and big mouth had finally caught up with him. I know it used to be the old adage that one had to come and convincingly take the title away from the champ, but that had gone out decades earlier.

I also don't think there's bugger all difference between Charles and Spinks, and wouldn't be surprised if Spinks pipped him.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top