Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Re: Buster Douglas as a top 100 heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal
I don't know how I feel about Douglas. His beatdown of Tyson was amazing, you have to admit. He has looked good at other times, too. Tucker is a good boxer, and Douglas looked pretty good against him. I don't want to take anything away from Holyfield. But overall Douglas' career leaves a lot to be desired. Motivation is a big part of being a star athlete. Douglas represents an immense waste of talent. I think he is in the top 100, but I don't know where to put him. Certainly he's not very high.
If you compare his career to past champions, the closest fighter to him is Willard. They have remarkably similar careers. They both beat ATG champions by outlasting them, and then lost all motivation and were thumped when they defended their titles. As challengers they were nothing overly special and really only have that one big win. Douglas beat a better champ (at the time) while willard was probably a touch better in earning the title shot, as Douglas only got it really by a process of elimination because everyone else had been knocked out.

Where that is, is hard to say, is where that is. Probably somewhere around the top 50 is about right, but it could go up or down 10-20 places, depending on independent tastes.
Boilermaker is offline  Top