Old 08-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Beau Jack vs. Joe Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
Quite a styles contrast. Jack was the typical, meaty swarmer with oodles of strength and stamina. Brown was the wispy, smooth boxer-puncher with all the moves.

Style wise, I think Jack has all the advantages. Brown, though a sharp hitter, was never the kind of fighter to take you out with a well placed punch, and especially not against Jack, who was still somehow conscious after the murderous Ike Williams unloaded more than twenty unanswered punches on him. Williams didn't just throw everything in the textbook, he threw everything that wasn't in the textbook including the book itself and every other book in the library, and Jack was still upright and moving at the end. It's nearly a fact - Brown could not knock out this particular foe.

Some things that may point to a Brown win are his victories over the gallant Dave Charnley. Charnley was an excellent fighter in the mould of Jack, and Brown beat him twice in his prime. Charnley was a lesser fighter than Jack, however, and didn't apply as much pressure - he was also a southpaw, so he was hardly a carbon copy anyway. Though Brown had an educated left hand, his best punch was easily the straight right (particularly as a follow-up to a darting jab), and fighting left-handed, Charnley was far more open to this punch than Jack was. Studying the tapes, Jack is visibly more protected on that left side than Charnley, whose main obstacle was always Brown's right hand.

You could say Joe Brown vaguely resembled Ike Williams in style and use that as an argument in his favour, but it wouldn't be right. Williams was stronger and rougher, and was a very heavy body puncher. One thing that swarmers don't like is their own body punches being used against them - Williams slowed down Jack using this method and set him up for the head shots later on. Brown wasn't usually inclined to throw many downstairs and lacked the firepower to make them work in his favour anyway.

Brown liked to clinch a lot and try to get away with fighting only as much as he had to, but this wouldn't work against Jack, whose strength limitlessly surpassed Brown's. Whenever Brown went to take time off, Jack would be digging his ribs and bruising him with his head and Brown would probably be wise to ease off the grappling after tasting this in the early rounds. Jack would then have the fight his way as Brown struggles to keep up with the pace and begins to wilt under the pounding.

Ultimately, however, I don't think the fighters' styles play a big part in the outcome of this bout - it's their mentalities. Jack was a fighter who would fight as long as his legs were under him, whereas Brown was largely a businessman who wouldn't fight unless the money was right. Even when in the ring for the right amount of money, it didn't take much for him to sit down if he knew he was getting paid anyway. Brown only cared about his legacy to a limited extent, and this would be his downfall.

Jack would obviously force the action and I can see Brown spearing him occasionally and perhaps marking up his face, but once Jack gets those fists cranking and builds up his momentum, he's going to become unstoppable. Brown was never the most durable of fighters and was susceptible on his left side where his hand was kept low - funnily enough, Jack's best punch was his right hook. Brown's jaw and Jack's fist would fit together like two pieces of a jigsaw.

Jack TKO10.

Agree? Disagree?
I dont see many similarities between Jack and Charnley,jack was all action,coming at you ,Charnley was more measured,a short armed box fighter,I think he was a better boxer than Jack but didnt apply nearly as much pressure,Jck had freakish powers of endurance and resistance to pain,along the lines of Armstrong,Charnley was the better hitter,imo,.The thing about Brown was he was allready 30 when he won the title,his record before becoming champ was spotty ,and after he lost it he became distinctly average,though he was nearing the end,I feel Brown would outbox Jack for long moment s of the fight ,his jab imo was very underated ,it was fast ,accurate and constant,and he could hit with power with his right,I rate him over Jack as a Lightweight,around no 10 or 11,but Brown lacked the strength and physicality of Williams ,who was Jacks master,therefore I feel Jack,would probably overwhelm Brown for a late stoppage or out gas him for a decision victory.
mcvey is offline  Top