Old 08-15-2007, 06:40 AM   #13
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes/Nielsen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woller
Nielsen v Holmes decision? No big deal. Danish judge scored it 115-113 Nielsen. American judsge Pete Podgorski gave it to Nielsen 116-113. When I first saw the fight I had Brian winning, later I scored the fight for Holmes by one point. Close?- Yes. Debatable? - Yes. Bad decision? - No, I have seen much worse.

Woller
Holmes won the fight. The fight itself was not memorable, but the controversial decision was. Holmes won it. 7 rounds to 5 the best score. The thing note here is Neilsen was an undefeated heavyweight fighting in his home country of Denmark. If this fight took place on a neutral setting, Holmes wins the decision.

Neilsen was a fair fighter. Fans might remember he tied Rocky Marciano’s undefeated 49-0 record, then lost his next fight to Dicky Ryan in the final round. I have not seen that fight, but I was told Neilsen was all but finished had to be pushed back out there for the final round.

In boxing aging champions often get a decision or two they shouldn’t. One thing that hardly happens is when an x champion wins the fight, only to be robbed by the judges. Holmes got the shaft in the second Spinks fight, and the Neilsen fight.
Mendoza is offline  Top