Old 08-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #32
digiram
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pinoys vs Thais

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalangK
You have to know that the filipino's willingness and their familiarity to travel makes them easy targets for local shady promoters. Korea, Japan, and Thailand have always picked up Filipinos to throw to their prospects since as far as I can remember watching the sport. A lot of our c level fighters struggling financially will ignore the risks just to make a small buck. Sometimes it pays off as in the case of Espinosa and Pacquiao who beat fighters they were not supposed to beat but in most cases it ends up being a mismatch.

If you want an example on how far we would go, just look at Iraq. A lot of Filipinos know the danger involved in working there but you can easily provide for your family if you work there for one year as opposed to working several back home.
I feel ya on this, and it's absolutely true. As a Thai/Laos person, I watch a lot of Thai news and boxing(muay thai included) over FTA sattelite, and Thai promoters are often criticized by the newscasters in regards to picking up the worst of the worst Philipino boxers to water down the records of thier prospects. It's a shame.

I'm not trying to say that Thai boxers don't deserve any credit, cuz there's been many boxers from there that have beaten very good contenders inside and outside of Thailand.
digiram is offline  Top